Monday, September 24, 2007

July-August Department of Foreign Affairs Internships

July – August this year. Yes, I had spent those two months living on my own for the first time at a completely new surrounding, being in a new place, a new bigger city. It is simply called, Jakarta. I was there for a reason, I went to Deplu, or Departemen Luar Negeri or Department of Foreign Affairs for an internship program, a program coordinated by the International Relations Department at Hasanuddin University, the university where I study.

It was definitely a challenge for me mentally, because the fact that I have absolutely zero knowledge about how to work on a daily basis at Deplu, and where is the exact position that I am going to be placed at, and frankly, I knew nothing about it. But all of my anxiety was all gone in an instant at the first day of the internship.

I was placed at the Directorate of Consular Affairs at Deplu (or the so-called the public service directorate); Sub-Directorate of Visa to be exact. The first step into the office, I was literally, petrified, because, the folks were like, so mature and experienced, and they looked like they were so very competent people, and me? I am an utter- you know, rookie. But one thing that I had in mind, that partially of myself being here, was also a representation of the institution that sent me, and ultimately, they were going to determine, at the end of the day of my interns, whether I earn a satisfactory job or not, and they are going to determine whether I get the score of A, B, or God, no, it would be a total failure if I earn a C in this program. So, in order to accomplish the highest score, which is A, the last thing I wanted to do is to let those folks know that I had no idea what I was about to get myself into. Hehehehe… however the folks are so friendly, they were so generous, they were always sincerely willing to help me.. They did not treat me as if I was an utter- moron, they knew that I was there to learn, I was there to gain experiences, working at the place where I would want to work, in the future after I graduated.

So, I learned fast, hehehe.. well, I mean it.. the Sub-Directorate of Visa basically manages the visa of the foreigners who are about to travel to any parts of the country of Indonesia. however in this particular case, the foreigners specifically refer to those who are the holders of the Diplomatic Passports and Service Passports. For those who arrange a visit to Indonesia as a tourist and, substantially, the holders of Ordinary Passports, they will have to deal with the folks at Directorate of Immigration at the Departement of Laws and Human Rights.
It's fun as hell! I would love to do it again!... This has been an amazing expierience!....

To be Continued…

2 comments:

Putri Wanasita said...

*buka kamus inggris*

-YoWBLoG- said...

silahkan buka.. take your time translate..